Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Beer Report, Vol. 1

Now that this whole election thing is over it’s time to start discussing some more important issues – like beer. I plan to run an occasional update of the various brews I try over here. Here are a few of them, in order of taste:

Leffe – a Belgian abbey beer. The abbey was founded in 1152, so they know how to make a good beer. This is one of my favorites. I finally know why someone would want to become a monk – in fact, I’m considering it myself. I’d suggest trying the Blonde, Brune and Triple of their most popular brews. If you really want something with a kick, give Leffe 9 a try.

Duvel
– brewery founded in 1871. It’s a strong, golden Belgian pale ale. Duvel
means “devil” – it’s a long story, but my take on it is that it was named by a guy with a bad hangover sometime in the 1920’s. At 8.5% alcohol, believe it.

Budweiser Budvar – the “real” Budweiser (i.e., not made with rice). This Budweiser was established in 1895 in the Czech Republic. I buy it in a nice big red and white can and believe it was made specifically for real football (NFL) on Sunday evenings in Morges (they had a lot of foresight in 1895…and, yes, our cable gets live NFL games....Go Pack!) That being said, we keep well-stocked on this and it is best when served chilled.

Cardinal – this brewery was founded in 1788 in Fribourg, Switzerland. This seems to be the “national” beer, since it’s been served in every bar and restaurant we’ve been in. If you just ask for a beer, this is what you get. In my view, its Switzerland’s version of Pabst, Schmidt, and Hamm’s all rolled into one fine brew. I believe it is only to be "drunk" at the White Horse Pub. One side-effect is a strong urge to walk to the McDonald’s at the train station after leaving the pub between the hours of 11 p.m. – 1 a.m. On a side-note, I’d suggest trying the Royale with Cheese (no Pulp Fiction “big brain on Brett” jokes please) or the McGruyere.

5 comments:

Bruce Flaten said...

You've missed your calling as a world renowned beer critic. Are you even working over there?

Mary said...

Hey Matt,
Try out Hoegarten and let me know what you think, that one's pretty good too! Also, Wiekse Witte is good and also made in Maastricht where I'm at! Enjoy, I find the same beers very enjoyable!

M

Lisa and Family said...

Sandra, is that you drinking beer over there?

Darcy said...

You are going to need a lot more of the GOOD Budweiser to make the Packer games look good, Matt :)

Mom Barb said...

Gosh...I didn't realize you had such a flare for entertaining and educational journalism. I'm eager to try the beers....well, some anyway. Hard to imagine a good Budweiser---guaranteed it's not what we get over here. As for the "monk" thing....have you discussed this with Sandra? I'm not so sure I want my only son to be a monk, but...whatever makes you happy. ;-)