Monday, June 7, 2010

Girls’ and Boys’ Weekends

Last weekend I went with a group of girlfriends to Locarno, which is in the Italian part of Switzerland. All six of us piled into Suzie’s car and made the five hour drive. Locarno is said to be the sunniest of all Swiss towns. It felt like we were in another country with the mild climate and the palm and olive trees. We stayed at a beautiful B&B which overlooked Lake Maggiore. Suzie and I had a huge chandelier in our room that sparkled so much that it hurt our eyes. The weekend was full of good conversation and many laughs were shared. Our weekend consisted of:

• Eating - The risotto was fantastic and we found mint chocolate chip gelato!
• Drinking - Two of the girls were trying to empty out their liquor cabinets at home before they move. We had quite the assortment of booze as we made drinks out on the terrace one night.
• Shopping - The highlight was finding the equivalency to the Dollar Store – the ‘Everything 2 Franc’ store.
• Meandering (or what Matt likes to call ‘lolly-gagging’) – Our B&B was above Locarno, so we took a funicular down to the town and strolled around the Piazza Grande and along the lake. Highlights were the Santuario della Madonna del Sasso, which dates back to 1596, and a boat ride across the lake.

This weekend it was Matt’s turn to go on a guys’ trip. He and four other guys took the train to Zurich. I’ve learned bits and pieces about their whereabouts and activities through his text messages but I’m curious to get the whole story. I know beer drinking was at the top of their to-do list. I think Hooters was a possibility for today. I think the excuse for that one was, “They have a good brunch.” I might be getting a Hooters t-shirt as Matt texted me this morning asking what size shirt I wear. All I can say is he better not come home with those orange spandex shorts for me.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

I am very impressed that you found mint Stracciatella :) I never found mint when I was there - I will need to look harder next time :)