Monday, April 18, 2011

Getting Ready

We've been learning a lot as we prepare for baby's arrival in July:

• Prenatal check-ups have been every four weeks. My doctor has done an ultrasound at every appointment, which is a lot more than my friends back home say they had.

• My weight is measured in kilos at the appointments. I love how little that number sounds in kilos compared to pounds.

• In Switzerland women tend to stop working a month, or sometimes even two, before their due date. The doctor said the Swiss feel it's very important for the mother to have time to prepare for the birth. I like their way of thinking.

• The hospital stay is typically five days for mama and baby. Six to seven days if it's a C-section.

• After giving birth the mother is served a cheese platter. Yum, bring on the cheese!

No comments: