Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Afternoon in Lausanne

My friend, Andrea, and I went into Lausanne for the afternoon. It’s about a 10 minute train ride from Morges. We had two stops on our agenda – an English book store and Starbucks. I loved the book store. It’s so nice to be around books with titles that I can actually read! Our visit to Starbucks was just as good. I had a chai iced tea latte. It cost me seven francs for the smallest size, which is equivalent to 6.50 US dollars. A little on the expensive side but well worth it. We stopped to see the Cathedrale Notre-Dame, too, since it was on our way. I read that it’s the biggest church in Switzerland as it’s more than 300 feet long. I also read that a night watchman continues to call out the hour at the top of the tower (225 steps up) from 10:00 p.m. to 2 a.m. Lausanne is the last town in Switzerland to continue the watchman tradition (according to my Rick Steves’ guide book).

No comments: