Friday, November 6, 2009

Cooking Success

I had a success in the kitchen this week. My wild rice soup turned out perfect! It was the right color, the correct consistency and it tasted good. This is a huge improvement from last time when it turned out as a purple glop of a mess (See picture below). Purple because I had to use du riz noir (black rice). I searched high and low for wild rice in the grocery stores in Switzerland but had no luck. I brought back wild rice from the US and it did the trick this time around.

Last year I had a difficult time figuring out what they use here for cornstarch. I was unable to find it in the stores, so I made my own with milk and flour. I guess I didn’t do it quite right as the soup turned into a blob that was too thick to stir. I have since then figured out that ‘maizena’ is the Swiss version of cornstarch. It makes cooking a little easier knowing this. My soup last year went right into the garbage. Bon appétit this time around!

No comments: