Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Supplies

My friend, Jen, and I made a special trip to the American Store in Nyon last Friday. The town of Nyon is about 20 minutes away by train. The purpose of our trip was for Thanksgiving supplies that cannot be found in the typical Swiss grocery store. Here’s what I bought:

Pumpkin pie filling (29 oz can): 5.45 CHF (Swiss Franc)
Evaporated milk (3-5 fl oz cans at 1.90 each): 5.70 CHF
Stuffing (2 boxes at 3.90 each): 7.80 CHF – The Stove Top brand was double this price
Chicken gravy mix (I know I should make my own, but I’m lazy): 1.95 CHF
A&W root beer (1 can): 2.50 CHF – Not part of Thanksgiving dinner, just a craving I had

That’s a grand total of 23.40 CHF, which is about the same amount in US dollars. Jen saw a 10 lb turkey at the grocery store – they only had the one. It was 50 CHF. Fifty dollars for a 10 lb turkey! That’s insane! We’ll be having chicken for our dinner. I hope it all turns out. I can’t afford to keep making trips to the American Store at these prices.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I feel your pain, the small American section I've found in one grocery store in my town sells a box of pancake mix or a box of brownie mix for 4.99 Euro, which equates to $7.50. But,sometimes, it's just needed! One of these days, when I'm in Tolo, I will actually have time to meet you guys for dinner and catch up! Hopefully in January/February at the current plan. How long are you guys over here for?

Mary

McCarthy said...

Hey Mary...we're here for two more years. Definitely let me know when you're here. Your office is probably about a mile from our place.