Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Market in Neuchâtel

I love this time of year with all of the Christmas markets going on in the little towns. My friend, Ayelet, agreed to go with me to the one in Neuchâtel. There was no way I was going to talk Matt into going. He’s Christmas-marketed out. Neuchâtel is about a 40 minute train ride from Morges. I was in charge of the details for the trip. I had the train schedule figured out, I had asked a co-worker for directions on how to get to the market and I had double checked the dates. The one thing I didn’t think to look at was when it opened for the day. So we arrived a little before 11 to find that the market didn’t open until 2. Ayelet was not put out at all (that’s one of the traits I love best about her – she’s very easy-going) and we made the most of our morning. Neither of us had been to the town before so we stopped at the tourism office to pick up a map and made a plan. We visited a beautiful church and walked around the walls of the old castle. By the time we finished a lovely lunch, it was time for the market to open. The market was just so-so. I think the impromptu part of our day was the best.

No comments: