Monday, January 31, 2011

How Bizarre

Every time I get in the car the same song is playing. ‘Over the Rainbow,’ the version sung by the Hawaiian musician, Iz, is constantly on the radio these days. Matt and I ran errands last weekend and we heard it three times in a matter of that many hours on one radio station. What is it with this song? It’s not like it’s a new release. It was popular in the US in 2004. A little bit of searching on the internet and I had my answer. It was recently used in a deodorant commercial here in Europe. It hit #1 on the German singles chart in October of 2010 and then became the number one song in France and Switzerland in December. I don’t mind the song but it’s on all the time.

Here is a song that I do like that is currently on the radio. It’s called Soulman by Ben L’Oncle Soul. It’s a mix of English and French lyrics. Can’t say I understand much of the French – just a word here and there. Matt and I shout out the French words we recognize when it’s on the radio. That’s the extent of our language practice these days.

1 comment:

Bruce Flaten said...

I didn't think Germans used deodorant. Things must've changed since I've been there.