Monday, July 26, 2010

Swiss National Day


August 1 is to the Swiss what July 4 is to Americans. The first of August has been celebrated as Swiss National Day since 1891. The date refers to an alliance made in 1291 between three cantons. Cantons are kind of like our states in the US. I don’t really understand the rest of the agreement from back then, but I know that it’s a big deal.

This will be my first time in Switzerland to celebrate Fête Nationale Suisse. It means lots of Swiss flags, parades and fireworks. The stores sell all kinds of Swiss decorations as well as other goodies. Here’s what I found at the Migros today – hard-boiled eggs with the Swiss flag. They typically sell hard – boiled eggs at the store year round. You can tell they’re hard – boiled because they’re dyed like Easter eggs. It was very confusing to me for quite a while. Why the heck do the Swiss have Easter eggs in November ?! But now that mystery has been solved thanks to my neighbor, Christina, explaining it to me. There’s even a special bread that bakeries make for Swiss National Day in certain regions of the country. I’m on the look-out for it.

2 comments:

The Yodeling Elkos said...

Sandra, Migros will also have extreme paprika whole chickens with the Swiss cross in bread dough on top. We got one last year, the kids thought it was hysterical!

thomasm said...

I checked and no paprika chickens with the Swiss cross on top. Must have sold out already!

The Migros hasn't had cheddar cheese for a few weeks. They finally had it today. I was worried that they heard you moved and were no longer going to keep it in stock. Miss you!