Friday, December 19, 2008

How Do You Say “I Am Stuck” in French?

I know how to say “I am” in French ("Je suis"). I don’t know how to say ,“Je suis ‘stuck‘.” That would have been helpful today.

Matt and I went to a mall and I locked myself in a bathroom stall that MacGyver couldn’t have broken out of - there were no possible escape routes. Knocking violently on the door, wiggling the handle, and semi-whimpering for 10 minutes appears to be a universal sign for help though, because a little old lady’s voice said…..well, I don’t speak French well enough to know what it said, but regardless it was something calming to me. Calming to me until she left! Luckily, a few minutes later she came back with another lady who opened the door for me. (Apparently you push the door to get out, not pull.)

Meanwhile, Matt was standing around just waiting, completely clueless that his wife was trapped in a bathroom stall. He did tell me that he’d reached his usual point in waiting that he started to try and figure out how many hours/days/months/years in his life he will end up standing around waiting for me.

2 comments:

Bruce Flaten said...

Ha, that's funny. See all the things you're learning over there? You can now open bathroom stall doors in at least 2 different countries!!

McCarthy said...

Well, technically Sandra didn't open it, so I think she's still only at 1.