Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Great Minnesota Get-Together

I’ve been feeling a bit homesick this past week. I love this time of year in Minnesota with fall just around the corner and a new school year getting underway. It also means time for the state fair, also commonly referred to as the ‘Great Minnesota Get-Together.’ Attending the fair was an annual event for me. I have many fond memories of time spent there with good friends. Some of my favorites include: searching for a pronto pup stand immediately upon entering the fair gates (a pronto pup is similar to but not quite a corn dog), watching the talent show while sharing a huge bucket of Sweet Martha’s Cookies with friends, going down the big green and yellow slide, watching sheep contests while drinking wine with my friend, Allison (we’re nothing but classy, I know), going to see the fattest pig and riding on Ye Old Mill with my friend, Shannon, and realizing it’s a total make-out ride – sitting in a boat, riding around in circles in the dark. Good times!

So, if any of you Minnesotans are out there reading this, can you do me a huge favor and eat some fair food for me? I miss all the deep-fried, crazy food combinations all served on a stick. I wonder what the Swiss would say if they saw deep-fried bacon cheddar mashed potatoes on a stick or a deep-fried twinkie on a stick.

No comments: